My Favourite Neutral Eye Shadow Palettes On The High Street

Saturday, October 10, 2015

I'm such a sucker for a good neutral eye shadow palette and although I do now have the ultimate neutral palette - the *Urban Decay Naked Palette - in my collection, I understand that this isn't available for everybody and I managed long enough without it. There are plenty of amazing neutral eye shadow palettes out there on the high street and I have a few in my collection that I still reach for even though they may be sat right next to my *Naked Palette. I think the high street brands do neutral eye shadows really well so here are my top picks!

Kicking it all off we have the Maybelline The Nudes Eye Shadow Palette (£9.99). I've talked about this palette plenty of times so you should know how much I love it by now. I took the Maybelline The Nudes Eye Shadow Palette away with me when I went to Ireland in the summer because it's just got every neutral colour you could need to get you through the week. I also really like that it includes a range of matte and shimmer shades so you can play about with textures as well as colour.

The palette is set up into 3 quads and each shade within that quad is designed to go together perfectly. Of course you can mix and match whatever shade you want (which is what I usually do) but it's really nice to have those sections set up for you. It makes the process of deciding what to wear a lot easier and if you're a makeup beginner, there are even instructions as to what colour looks best where on the back of the palette. The first quad contains your standard neutrals: 3 shimmer shades and a matte brown. The middle section (my favourite) contains a matte nude colour that makes an absolutely fab base for any look and 3 bronze/gold shimmer shades to make the most dazzling evening look. Finally last but not least, the last 4 remind me a lot of the colour combos inside the Bobbi Brown Greige Collection Palette. There's a pale shimmery highlight, two browny grey tones and a black that is perfect used as a liner or for a dramatic smokey eye. This palette contains something for everybody and the mix of cool and warm toned shades means it's so versatile and great for travelling when you haven't got room to take loads of products with you.

The quality of the shadows are good. There's no fall out, they blend easily and don't crease. The wear time isn't the most amazing I've ever come across, but they last around 8 hours without fading which is pretty impressive for a high street palette. I also really like the packaging, it's sturdy but chuck away the silly foam applicator that they give you because it's useless.

I mentioned the Collection Eyes Uncovered Eye Shadow Palette in Nude (£3.99) recently in my school makeup look and I have been wearing the colours from this palette a lot to sixth form since. They are just such pretty basic neutral colours that are really easy to wear and perfect for every day use. They're the kind of colours that you can just chuck on and they look good with basically no effort. You don't have to worry about picking complimentary colours because the palette has been put together for you and because there is a range of colours from light to dark, this one little palette is enough to complete a full look including eyeliner.

Shades from left to right: White Chocolate, Buttercream, Biscuit, Chocolate Milk, Brown Sugar and Espresso
My favourite shade in the palette is called Biscuit. It's a really lovely pale gold colour that you can just sweep across the lid and go. All the shades are really buttery and soft so they blend well and last all day without a primer. Everybody needs this fuss free palette in their lives. This palette actually reminds me a lot colour wise of the Urban Decay Naked 2 Basics Palette except these shadows contain shimmer rather than being completely matte.

I'd always heard a lot of good things about Makeup Revolution but never tried any of their products myself. But when I went shopping with my friend I couldn't resist coming away with at least one of these beautiful palettes (Makeup Revolution do every colour combination you could possibly want and I definitely need a trip back). I picked up the Makeup Revolution Redemption Palette Iconic 2 (£4) which is clearly supposed to be a take on the Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette and I absolutely love it.

Iconic 2 contains a wide rage of colours including golds, silvers and taupes that will suit both cool and warm toned skin. There isn't a big range of textures here as the palette only contains 3 matte shades. But they are a peach, brown and black so there's a base, transition and liner colour. I think all the colours are beautiful, but the two stand out shades for me are the gold and copper shades. They are insanely pigmented and I actually wore these colours to prom. Unfortunately, I don't get as much wear out of this palette anymore as my mum seems to have adopted it.

For a measly four quid you get 12 beautifully buttery shades that are well pigmented and last on the eyes all day. They don't crease and there is no fall out at all. If you prefer matte shades then this particular palette isn't for you but, check out one of Makeup Revolutions other palettes because the quality is exceptional for the price. The only thing I would say is that the packaging feels cheap and is even starting to crack where it snaps shut.

Last but by no means least, we have another offering from Collection. After picking up the Collection Eyes Uncovered Nude Palette without realising they did other variations, I went back to Boots and bought myself the Collection Eyes Uncovered Eye Shadow Palette in Nude Bronze (£3.99). This palette is a bronze goddesses dream and I love it with every inch of my being (bit much???).


Shades from left to right: Ivory, Mink, Ochre, Golden Brown, Ember, Nutty
I love every single colour in this palette and get wear out of all of them. Because of the amount of bronze, gold and copper toned colours going on, this will definitely suit people who have warmer undertones more but Collection also do a Nude Grey version of the palette for those of you who do have cool undertones, so don't you worry. I think these colours are great for a night out when you want a lot of drama without stepping out of your comfort zone, they're also really rich colours that will compliment every single eye colour and make your eyes pop.

This palette is insanely pigmented and because the shimmer is very finely milled, you don't have to worry about getting fall out from chunky glitter. The shadows are buttery and easy to blend and last all day on the lid without creasing or fading even without a primer (because let's be honest, I can't be bothered with an eye shadow primer).

So there are my favourite neutral eye shadow palettes on the high street. Have I missed any out??

Ciara x

Tumblr ¦ Instagram ¦ Bloglovin' ¦ Twitter ¦ Pinterest

*This post mentions items which were gifted to me. Full disclaimer.

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. I love this post Ciara! The Maybelline palette looks amazing! I think I need to buy it... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the Maybelline The Nudes palette and am already hooked! The shades are gorgeous and the pigmentation is great!

    xo, Liz
    http://lipstickandconfetti.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite is soap and glory's what's nude palette. I absolutely love that palette, the colours blend like a dream and are so soft!xx

    http://www.perks0fbeingnazia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking at that palette for a while now and I love Soap & Glory so I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try it out for myself! xx

      Delete
  4. I really want to pick up the Maybelline one!
    Hannah | Heyitshannaah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's so great especially for the price :) x

      Delete
  5. Lovely images! I love make-up revolution palettes they're really pigmented!
    Charlotte // charlottespicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I definitely need some more Makeup Revolution Palettes in my life! x

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I read them all and I love to hear from you :)