Moomins On The Riviera

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Moomins. Oh how I love the Moomins. Since I was little I have had an affinity with the cute, podgy little creatures that are the Moomins. I have all the books and my mum used to read me their tales as bedtime stories. I just love everything about them and find them so comforting. No matter my age, I will continue to read the books and hopefully one day I will be able to read them to my own children just as my mother did with me.

So you can imagine my excitement when I saw the Moomins On The Riviera advert. I had to go. I couldn't not! All these years of loving The Moomins and now they were going to be on the big screen! So I trotted along to the cinema with my best mate and sat through an hour and a half of Moomin goodness. Now I know a cartoon aimed at small children won't be for everybody but I loved every minute. It was like reliving my childhood and it was so nice to see these stories come to life on the big screen.

Now a think there will be quite a few of you out there who have no idea what I am talking about. The Moomins are characters that were created by the wonderful Tove Jansson who was a Finnish author. The Moomins are a family of fairy tale creatures that kind of look like mini white hippos. They're so sweet and charming and along with their friends get up to all kinds of antics. Tove Jansson was such a talented and creative writer and the world she created for the Moomins - Moominvalley - is magical place indeed.

This time the Moomins are off to the Riviera for a glamorous holiday. However, the family becomes divided as Moominpapa and Snorkmaiden become carried away with pretending to be aristocrats so Moomintroll and Moominmama move to the beach to get away from it all. I thought the film was really charming and sweet and perfect for all ages. There were funny moments and heartfelt moments and the animation is amazing. If you are a fan of the Moomins then I'm sure you'll be glad to hear that they have kept the same hand drawn style. Something that was very important to me.

If you love the Moomins as much as I do then definitely go and see Moomins On The Riviera while you still can and if you have young children and are looking for a lovely film to go and see, then I definitely recommend this one!

What books do you associate with your childhood?

Ciara x

If you do love the Moomins as much as me then you can follow my Moomins board on Pinterest!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Please leave a comment, I read them all and I love to hear from you :)