Mother's Millionaire Shortbread Recipe

Monday, September 01, 2014

 I'm a greedy little thing. I always have been. I've been baking with my mum since I was little. I guess my interest in baking only really started because I would jump at any opportunity to lick chocolate off a spoon or nick chunks while my mum was busy chopping them up. I just love to eat.

Millionaire Shortbread is something that my mum and I have been eating for yonks but have only ventured into baking quite recently. However it's a firm favourite in my household and so we have baked it enough to tweak recipes and come up with what we believe to be the most delicious Millionaire Shortbread to ever grace this earth. And seeing as I am a very, very, very lovely person (and don't you dare say otherwise) I have decided to share with you the magic.
 

 Mother's Millionaire Shortbread:

 

Ingredients:
 
For the shortbread:
  • 250g of plain flour
  • 75g of caster sugar
  • 175g of butter (softened)
 
For the caramel:
  • 175g of butter
  • 175g of caster sugar
  • 4tbsp of golden syrup
  • 397g of condensed milk
For the top:
  • 200g of dark chocolate
  • 200g of milk chocolate 
  • A knob of butter
Method:

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 180'C/Gas Mark 4 and line a 33x23cm baking tin with greaseproof paper.
  2. To make the shortbread mix the flour and caster sugar in a bowl. Rub in all the butter .
  3. Tip into the baking tin and with the back of a spoon press it all down until it is flat and covers the whole base of the tin.
  4. Prick the shortbread lightly with a fork and stick it in the oven for 20mins. Then allow it to cool in the tin.
  5. For the caramel, put the butter, sugar, syrup and condensed milk into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted.
  6. bubble the mixture gently for about 20mins stirring all the time. (It's good to make this with another person so you don't get achy arms) It may take 20mins or it may take more just keep going until it looks thick and fudgy.
  7. Pour it over the shortbread in an even layer and leave it to cool.
  8. Now for the fun bit. Break up the chocolate and stick it in a microwaveable bowl. Add the knob of butter too (this stops the chocolate from cracking so much when you cut it). Stick the chocolate in the microwave for 20 seconds, take it out and stir. keep doing this until all the chocolate has melted.
  9. When the caramel has cooled you can pour the chocolate on and stick in the fridge to set.
  10. Leave it all to set properly or it will be impossible to cut. I was impatient and cut mine a tinsy bit too early so the chocolate cracked a bit.

So there you go. Share it around or keep it to yourself and stuff your face.
 
Let me know if you try this recipe how it goes. What's your favourite treat to bake at the moment?
 
Ciara x

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Oh they look so nicee!!
    Keep in touch
    xx
    Antonella :)
    beautylove7694.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I am so hungry right now and would eat this right away. Great pictures and I bet this looks delicious. Keep up the good work.

    LEJA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leja I have to admit I think they taste amazing :) x

      Delete
  3. Looks absolutely delicious!

    http://www.thetouristoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Yvonne, I think they taste delicious as well :) x

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I read them all and I love to hear from you :)